Friday, July 4, 2014

WARNING: Graphic content..

So once again, my busy schedule has kept me from posting for a couple days! Since I last updated you all, I have started my classes, explored more of the city, injured myself, and made many new friends!

My classes are great, my first period class; Understanding Art; is taught by Dr. Sandra Bird with her assistant Dr. Miwon Choe.  In this class we are learning how to analyze works of art more thoroughly and in a more unbiased manner.  The best part about this class is that every Thursday we take a field trip to a museum!  This past Thursday, I went to the National Folk Museum of Korea.  It was an amazing experience to see objects that  were created by humans so many centuries ago.
Bier:  frame for carrying coffin: a wooden frame on which a corpse or a coffin is carried to where it will be buriedJust think, this beautiful piece of art would have been buried with the coffin inside, this artists hard work never to be seen again!!

My second class is called Technical English Presentation Skills and Job Preparation.  Sounds pretty boring right?  Surprisingly it is not!  My professor is Mr. Mark McShea from the U.K.  He is very entertaining with his sense of humor along with the awesome British accent!  It is not an easy class for me since I am pretty backwards and shy, but the way he has it organized makes it not so intimidating. 
Just a funny side note; I wish I could have snapped a picture of Mr. McShea's face when he heard me speak for the first time, it was absolutely priceless.  His facial expression said; "Sweet mother of mercy, what am I going to do with this!".  Then just like everyone else and their brother, he had to ask where I was from, and his only advice to me:  Just be yourself.  Phew!!  That's all I know how to do anyway!

My evening class is Topics in Korean Art and Society.  This is also a very interesting class that explores the foundations of Korean cultural elements.  It is taught by Dr. Seungho Moon.  He is originally from South Korea, but he now teaches at Oklahoma State University.  He has an interesting perspective because of his background and I really enjoy his class.

On Wednesday; my free day,  I began by meeting Miwon in the art education room here at Hanyang!  We met with some faculty and art students that are interested in participating in the exchange program.  Most of them were art ed. students and one was an art therapy major.  We met with them to encourage them to come to WKU.  Even though I did not understand half of what was said at this meeting, I was excited to meet these girls that are pursuing the same degree as I am, 6,000 miles from where I normally am!

After this meeting, my friend Seokyung Park and I went on a small adventure in Seoul.  Seokyung was an exchange student at WKU for the 2013-2014 school year.
 

 

 

Our fun little adventure started out on a rough note however..  My lack of grace has left me with a nice little battle scar on my left knee =(  Whilst strolling down Hanyang Mountain, discussing the differences in American and Korean ways of life with Seokyung, my right foot magically slipped out from underneath me!  (As my dear mother always says; I could trip on air.)  Then it was girl down.  I am used to this kind of thing so I didn't think much of it or looking at my knee to see the damage.  I just brushed it off and jumped right back up!  Seokyung was quite concerned though, especially when she saw the blood running down my leg!  Thank goodness there was a pharmacy at the bottom of the hill that took excellent care of me!  They gave me what I needed so that our adventure could resume..
Disclaimer:  The next photo is the inspiration for today's post's title..  Proceed with caution!








   
 The first thing we did was find a restaurant with Korean barbeque.  I told Seokyung that I had been wanting to try it since I had arrived in Korea.  She took me to one of her favorite restaurants.  At this particular place, there is a charcoal grill built into the table, and you cook the barbeque yourself!

It was absolutely delicious!!  And dare I say this on America's very birthday... Korean barbeque is even better than the American version!  It has an amazing, smoky flavor and it is of course extremely spicy!  It was so spicy that I could barely eat it, but it was so darn delicious I ate it anyway.  It was served with lettuce and a slaw type dish.  To eat it, you place a few pieces of meat in the leaf of lettuce and top it with the slaw then wrap the lettuce around the whole thing.  Our side dishes were kimchi soup, rice, seasoned black beans, and seaweed soup.  The kimchi soup was also extremely spicy but it was so good. The seaweed soup and rice helped cool me down a little, along with the five glasses of water I downed!

After we ate all we could, we traveled by subway to MyeongDong to do some shopping!  The things here were very cheap!  Most of the clothes were not made to fit gals like me, Korean women as a collective, are very small.  They just don't need to make clothes much bigger than an American size 4!  I did find a few things though, and we had just as much fun looking at the stuff, as well as the sights along the street.  After we'd had enough of shopping, we decided it was time for a sweet treat!  We went to a little restaurant to get some bing soo.  What is bing soo you ask??  It is a little bowl of heaven, that's what it is!  Here's a picture to better describe what I cannot put into words...

Bing soo is a Korean dessert.  Essentially, it is ground ice.  It is so fine though, its like ice cream but better!  Especially in this heat!  This particular bowl of bing soo is blueberry/red bean bing soo.  Sounds gross right?  The red bean actually makes it!  There's not a lot of it, just a little patch in the middle of all that ice.  They also give you a little bowl of sweetened condensed milk to pour on top as you go.  You can never go wrong with sweetened condensed milk!!

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something Seokyung told me to make me feel better about my knee is that there is a Korean saying that if something bad happens at the beginning of your journey, that the rest of your journey will be good from then on.  I hope this is true about my trip to Korea, hopefully nothing worse than that will happen to me!

An inspiring message I came across on my walk back to the dorm yesterday...



No comments:

Post a Comment