Saturday, June 28, 2014

Getting Settled in...

For the month of July, I will be studying at Hanyang University in Seoul, South Korea as part of a summer student exchange program with Western Kentucky University.  I will be taking three courses; Understanding Art; Topics in Korean Arts, Culture, and Society; and Techno English.  I owe many thanks to my professor, Dr. Miwon Choe.  She, along with many many friends, WKU faculty and family members have been so generous in helping with the funding of this trip.  I would love to list everyone but it would take a page and a half to cover all of my contributors!  Thank you all so much!  There is no way I could ever fully express my gratitude to you all for giving me this amazing opportunity! 

06/29/2014--  It has been a long trying adventure trying to make it here but I have finally settled into my dorm room at Konkuk University. (There are so many students enrolled in the program that Hanyang University ran out of rooms in their own dorms!)  I have met my roommate, her name Rui.  She is from China but studies in Connecticut, very sweet girl thank goodness!

So on Friday, (yesterday), I woke up at 4 am in home sweet home Sugar Grove, Kentucky, USA.  I had made it to the Detroit airport by 12:30 their time expecting to get on the plane to Seoul by about 4.  However, there were some maintenance issues with our plane coming from Japan and we ended up with a five hour delay, not leaving for Seoul until about 9.  Then there was the gruesome 14 hour flight.  I have never been so glad to stand up on solid ground in my life!! We arrived in South Korea at 12am SUNDAY!   Because of the delay, Delta paid for a hotel room since we could not check into our dorms.  So Dr. Choe, Dr. Sandra Bird ( Dr. Choe's colleague from Kennesaw State University whom we met up with in Detroit ) and I got a hotel together to stay in until we could check into our dorms.  Our hotel had an enormous continental breakfast buffet.  They served Korean style breakfast which consisted of salad, kimchi, porridge, omlet (with mushrooms, ham, and tomato) and some other spicy looking dishes.  I opted for the more American style breakfast of fruit, waffles, yogurt and cereal.  I will be more adventurous for lunch and dinner, I promise!
 Views from the hotel..

 The plane and stats from the flight...

No comments:

Post a Comment